The Records Management Policy at The Baker Center is focused on both maintaining and destroying records in accordance with statutory, regulatory and accrediting standards. All requests for access to or copies of records concerning present or former clients or students, whether received from the client or student directly or from another person or by means of a court order or otherwise, should be directed to the Records Management Official (RMO), currently the Vice President of Administration and Operations, at The Baker Center.
- Requests for records of current or former Manville School students will be directed to the Director of Manville School or designee.
- Requests for records received by court order or subpoena will be directed to legal counsel for The Baker Center and the responses will be prepared and implemented in accordance with legal guidance.
- Requests for records of current or former clients or students, whether received directly from the subject of the records or otherwise from family or other responsible persons, must be submitted on a completed and signed AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE INFORMATION form.
- Completed Authorization to Release Information forms should be sent to:
VP of Administration and Operations, Records Management Official
The Baker Center
53 Parker Hill Ave
Boston, MA 02120
A search for a requested record will only be initiated upon receipt of a completed and signed Authorization form.
Please note that due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, fulfillment of records requests will take longer than the timing indicated below. We will make every effort to respond in a timely manner, but please expect that processing of requests will likely take several weeks or longer, depending on the age of the records in question.
In general, every effort will be made to provide access to the records in question, if they are available, within ten (10) business days after receipt of the signed Authorization form. Records that are older may take up to 30 days.
Please note that record retention requirements vary by program. For example, State regulations permit The Baker Center to destroy mental health clinical records 20 years after discharge or final treatment date of the client. Please direct all questions regarding record retention to the VP of Administration and Operations via phone: 617-278-4275 or email: email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Am I able to access records for a family member?
If you are a legal representative or guardian for another family member, and can demonstrate legal proof of guardianship, you may request access to their records. Each family member of legal age wishing a copy of his/her record needs to make that request individually.
- Can I pick up a copy of my record?
In general, no, records requests are not fulfilled in person. Please note that the majority of our records are stored at an offsite secured facility. Please do not come to The Baker Center in person to request your records. If you have any questions, please contact the VP of Administration and Operations (contact information above).
- Why does it take so long to receive my records?
It can take a few weeks to receive the requested information if you were a client or student more than a few years ago, as the information has to be retrieved from our offsite secured facility.
- Where can I find information on regulations pertaining to disclosure of protected health information?
Information on HIPAA is available on the HHS.gov website: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/medical-records/index.html and information on Massachusetts specific requirements is available on the Mass.gov website: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/medical-records-obligations and https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-law-about-student-records.